Friday, May 3, 2013

Cat night light

Light: Peak Matterhorn 1 LED, High power.

Lately I've been feeling very nostalgic for my Peak lights that I carried up until the end of 2006, when I switched to my first HDS.  I pulled them all from their storage spot on a shelf, dug out the spare bodies, mix-and-matched them into configurations I hadn't seen in years, and, rather to my own surprise, started regularly carrying the little single LED Matterhorn.  To be honest, my primary Clicky, the G2 170Cn, has started to develop the dreaded switch intermittency, so that's partially what triggered my nostalgia for these trusty old twisties, and it's also why I suddenly felt the desire to back it up with a tiny, old, utterly reliable 5mm AAA light.

Anyway, I just pulled the Matterhorn out of my pocket and was idly examining it when an old story occurred to me.  This was back in 2008 while I was staying at my mom's place in SLO.  She wasn't there that night and I also had to leave for the night, but her cat would be staying there, alone and mostly in the dark.  As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed how dark it was in the bathroom, where his litter was, at night with no night light and the main light off.  Cats are, as I recall, six times more sensitive to light than we are, but they still need some light to see, and it was just about pitch black in there.  I thought a moment, then remembered that I was carrying my little Matterhorn with me, for whatever reason (I think I had a week of nostalgia-carrying it back then too).  So I hung it from the towel rack and left it there for the night, ensuring that Humphrey would have at least a soft glow for the rest of the night.  I don't know how helpful that was to him, and it's certainly not any sort of exciting use, but it made me feel so much better knowing he wouldn't be fumbling in the dark in there.  It made me feel so much better that even now, all these years later, it's still the story I think of when I look at this light, and I still feel such an appreciation for it because of that, for being there and being just right for the task of helping out my feline friend, who has since become only a happy memory himself.  Sometimes, it really is the little things, and even the most basic flashlight, in the right place at the right time to perform the most basic task, can make a big difference and a lasting memory.


No comments: